As a member of Long Branch Neighbourhood Association (LNBA), I had the privilege of volunteering with Tree for Me, a program supported by Toronto Parks & Trees Foundation. During this one day event we gave away over 200 FREE trees!!! Can I get a “Whoohoo” for helping the environment!
Yes, you read that correctly, the trees were FREE and all you had to do, was register on-line, donations are always accepted but NOT mandatory to register.
Through this program, I learned a few things. Besides the fact that trees are great for our health and the environment, did you know…
1) Trees help with Noise Abatement – Trees and Shrubs can significantly reduce noise pollution by 50% or more
2) Trees influence local climate – Trees regulate temperature and air quality by providing shade, removing air pollutants and reducing wind speed
3) Tree supports wildlife – Trees create and enhance animal habitats and can act as reservoirs for endangered species
4) Trees are cool – … and trees cool the air 🙂 They provide shade and help prevent urban heat island effect (UHI)
5) Increases Real Estate Value – Landscaping with trees could increase property value and make an old home look like a teenager again.
Some tree planting tips:
1) Remember it’s a long-term investment so you need to choose the right tree for you.
2) Make sure it’s planted in the right spot (sun vs shade) this is key to the success of growth.
3) Consider the area above and below ground… roots need space.
4) Soil must be considered. What’s in your yard? Sand, clay, loam (Combination of clay and sand).
5) BEFORE digging its important to call Toronto Hydro to locate any underground equipment… it’s the law and it’s a free service, check out ononecall or call 1-800-400-2255.
Hope you enjoyed the tips and special thanks to Toronto Parks and Trees Foundation for their great information!
Contact me to learn more, hope to see you at the next event.
Tyler Pope, Sales Representative